Sunday, 10 February 2013

1 Hour Slouchy Beanie Pattern

When it comes to hats/beanies I've always had the hardest time with them since taking up crocheting last year, I've spent the last week or so getting frustrated while trying to make a slouchy beanie pattern to post after my mum and I worked together on the puff stitch beanie and finally something clicked and I came up with this pattern.

This beanie took me roughly an hour but this can vary depending on what speed you work at, though this project is easily finished within a few hours.

Its a great little afternoon project, if you're stuck for ideas or even for a last minute gift for someone.

I think this will be a great hat for spring/summer as it leaves a lot of room for your own customization, this would look great with some metallic buttons sewn to the rim, a flower or even a bow sewn on the side of the beanie.

You can alter this pattern to be as long or as short as you want it, the following pattern is only what I did :)

Its best to use the the chunkiest wool you can find to achieve a nice look, though I'm yet to try this out with a thinner wool so please let me know how it turned out if you try!

The beanie looks alot better on than off!

For this pattern I used a 8mm hook and super chunky wool, I probably used maybe half to three quarters of a 100g ball,

I didn't find that tension was particularly important for this project as I naturally crochet very loosely and it still fit my head, if you find that maybe the beanie is too small then try changing to a larger hook or change to a smaller hook if its too big.

Note: The chain at the beginning of every Rnd counts as 1 dc/1 sc

Rnd 1: Ch 4, dc into the 4th ch from the hook and ch 1, in the same chain space *dc + ch 1* 6 more times (8) Join with first ch with a sl st.

Rnd 2: Ch 4, *1 dc + chain 1* twice in each chain space (16) Join with the first ch with a sl st.

Rnd 3: Ch 4, *1 dc + ch 1* twice in first chain space, *1 dc + ch1 in next dc, 1 dc + ch 1 twice in next dc* repeat to end of Rnd (24) join with the first ch with a sl st.

Rnd 4 - 12: Ch 4, 1 dc + ch 1 in each chain space, join with sl st (24

Rnd 13: Ch 1, 2 sc in each chain space, join with first ch with a sl st (48)

Rnd 14: Ch 1, 1 sc in each sc all the way around, join with sl st (48)

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Not the best picture since my hair is covering most of my face!
It actually went down to below my ears :)
If you encounter any problems with the pattern, please get in touch and I will help the best I can :)